Piale 2012 Forum


    A little History.

    Share
    avatar
    miguelz

    Posts : 12
    Join date : 2012-05-22
    Location : Melilla

    A little History.

    Post by miguelz on Tue May 22, 2012 12:34 am

    To the east, across the Cherwell, the small suburb of St. Clement's was established in the early Middle Ages, but it was not taken into the city until 1835.

    Before it became a university town, 'the city of dreaming spires', and eventually a centre of the motor industry, Oxford was an important Anglo-Saxon and medieval town. It was a royal foundation on the ancient demesne, and its position as the county town was well established by 1086.In the 11th and 12th centuries its inhabitants were sometimes called citizens, but from the 13th century they were always called burgesses and the town was described as a vill or borough. More significant than its title were its extensive privileges: the burgesses were granted the fee farm in 1199, and from the early 13th century Oxford was governed by a mayor; the town's liberties, based on those of London, became the model for those of several other towns.

    With the creation of the see of Oxford, first at Oseney in 1542 and then at Christ Church in 1546, Oxford became a city. From 1889 it was a county borough and from 1974 a district, retaining its lord mayor and the title of a city.

      Current date/time is Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:17 pm